Field / Office Assistant (to begin April 2023)
We are seeking a friendly, experienced, skilled, communicative, and motivated addition to our small seed team at Uprising! The position is full-time, with the potential to stay on year-round: primarily farm-based from April through October and office-based Nov-Mar with overlap at the shoulder seasons. Shoulder seasons require a degree of schedule flexibility as much of the field work is weather-dependent. While everyone on our team contributes widely to the diversity of tasks involved throughout the year in a farm based retail seed company, farm experience will be prioritized for the current position.
Farm Season: Candidate will assist in all aspects of production of approximately 4 acres of certified organic seed crops, with a goal of working with owners to grow into a field manager-type role. We keep a very small field crew so candidate must be comfortable working long days in both team and solo settings. Both physically and mentally demanding, this job requires someone who excels in organization, communication and observation and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks with minimal supervision. Must have excellent communication skills and strong attention to detail.
Tasks will include but not be limited to:
- sowing and transplanting
- assisting with drip and overhead irrigation systems
- cultivation by tractor/walking tractor/hoe/hand
- trellising, t-post pounding and removal
- seed harvest/threshing/cleaning
- planning and evaluating trials
- seed crop quality control
- sharing funny jokes, poignant stories, good ideas, delicious food
Office Season: Our office is an intimate, fast-paced, environment that demands a very high level of precision, organization, ability to multitask, and excellent communication skills. The candidate will be involved in all aspects of our pack and ship order fulfillment operation including but not limited to:
- building and maintaining packet seed inventory
- monitoring and maintaining office and shipping supply inventory
- fulfilling wholesale and customer-direct orders
- processing orders accurately and efficiently through our online sales and shipping platforms
- providing customer service both online and via phone.
- keeping a clean and organized workspace.
- communicate well and help troubleshoot production bottlenecks for increased efficiency
- additional seasonal responsibilities include: assisting with germination testing, performing seed inventories, receiving supplier shipments
- finding excellent music and podcasts
- laughing often
- At least two years of work on a commercial vegetable or seed farm and knowledge of organic systems
- Seed growing, harvesting, and cleaning experience (preferred)
- Must have own transportation for approx 20 min farm commute.
- Working knowledge of small farm appropriate equipment
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to work competently in Excel and learn, navigate, and troubleshoot eCommerce software quickly and comfortably. Experience with Quickbooks online and/or Adobe graphics and design software is a plus
- Ability to work comfortably with others for long days while maintaining an organized, clean workspace, clear/constant communication, and good humor.
- Ability to stay focused and multitask in a busy, fast-paced environment.
- Creative and innovative problem solving
- Passion for seeds, food, and agriculture as a vehicle to foster connections and create social change
- Love of people and the more than human world
Wages to start at $20+/hr depending on experience, and benefits include 2 weeks paid vacation, paid holidays, monthly health and wellness bonuses for full time employees, and access to Panda the therapy dog. Potential for flexible scheduling. We don't work weekends and very rarely outside in the rain.
To apply: Please send a resume, cover letter, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone inquiries, please.
Thank you for your interest, we look forward to meeting you! Please be patient if we are slow to respond to inquiries.