Farm/Office Assistant (position filled..but you can still send resumes. We will be looking again.)
We are seeking a friendly, experienced, skilled, communicative, and motivated addition to our small seed team at Uprising! The position is full-time, with the potential to stay on year-round: primarily farm-based from April through October and office-based Nov-Mar with overlap at the shoulder seasons.
Farm Season: Candidate will assist in all aspects of production of approximately 4 acres of certified organic seed crops We keep a very small field crew so candidate must be comfortable working long days in both team and solo settings. Both physically and mentally demanding, this job requires someone who excels in organization, communication and observation and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks with minimal supervision. Must have excellent communication skills and strong attention to detail.
Tasks will include but not be limited to:
- sowing and transplanting
- assisting with drip and overhead irrigation systems
- cultivation by tractor/walking tractor/hoe/hand
- trellising, t-post pounding and removal
- seed harvest/threshing/cleaning
- planning and evaluating trials
- seed crop quality control
- sharing funny jokes, poignant stories, good idea, delicious food
Office Season: Our office is an intimate, fast-paced, environment that demands a very high level of precision, organization, ability to multitask, and excellent communication skills. The candidate will be involved in all aspects of our pack and ship office operation including but not limited to:
- building and maintaining packet seed inventory
- monitoring and maintaining office and shipping supply inventory
- fulfilling wholesale and customer-direct orders
- processing orders accurately and efficiently through our online sales and shipping platforms
- providing customer service both online and via phone.
- keeping a clean and organized workspace.
- communicate well and help troubleshoot production bottlenecks for increased efficiency
- additional seasonal responsibilities include: assisting with germination testing, performing seed inventories, receiving supplier shipments
- finding excellent music and podcasts
- laughing often
- At least a year of work on a commercial vegetable or seed farm and knowledge of organic systems
- Seed growing, harvesting, and cleaning experience
- Working knowledge of small farm appropriate equipment
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to work competently in Excel and learn, navigate, and troubleshoot eCommerce software quickly and comfortably. Experience with Quickbooks online and/or Adobe graphics and design software is a plus
- Ability to work comfortably in a small space with others for long days while maintaining an organized, clean workspace, clear/constant communication, and good humor.
- Ability to stay focused and multitask in a busy, fast-paced environment.
- Creative and innovative problem solving
- Passion for seeds, food, and agriculture as a vehicle to foster connections and create social change
- Love of people and the more than human world
Starting wage depends on experience.
To apply: Please send a resume, cover letter, and references to email@example.com. No phone inquiries, please.
Thank you for your interest, we look forward to meeting you!